We are excited about your upcoming stay. Here are a few tips to make your winter travel easier.
Although it rarely gets severely cold or snowy in the Smokes during the winter months, it does happen occasionally. Snowfall typically occurs from December through March, and sometimes as early as November - see our blog post about the possibility of snow. Please check the weather forecast before traveling. Also, if you plan to take Route 441 (Newfound Gap Pass) through Smoky Mountains National Park, we suggest calling 865-436-1200 for road closures and park conditions. Newfound Gap Pass frequently closes if there is snow or ice present on the road. Current road conditions are also updated on GSMNP Twitter https://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps
This area is not known for lasting snow accumulations. The city and county are not equipped to clear every road and street in the event of a major snowfall. Major thoroughfares and county roads are given priority for plowing and treatment, but secondary roads and streets are not. Given that the cabin is located on a residential street with just a few other houses, it is unlikely that the street will be treated or plowed if there is snow accumulation. Power outages may occur due to snowfalls, ice, and wind storms, but they are usually resolved within a few hours. If you experience a power outage, please inform us so that we can notify Sevier County Electric Utility.
We do not provide towing, snow plowing, or snow removal services.
In most cases, the snow melts within a few hours to a couple of days.
Winter travel tips for our valued guests.
- Bring season-appropriate clothing, hats, and gloves (it does get cold in the Smokies).
- Bring season-appropriate comfortable, stable, and non-slippery footwear.
- Bring a flashlight.
- Make sure your vehicle has sufficient tread on its tires.
- Make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas.
- Make sure to change windshield wipers before your trip.
- Ensure that your vehicle's battery is fully charged and capable of retaining the charge. Even if a battery performs well in higher temperatures, it may not possess sufficient starting power in colder conditions.
- It's a good idea to have jumper cables, a windshield ice scraper, and no-freeze windshield washer fluid.
- 4WD/AWD and/or snow chains may be necessary during snowy conditions.
- Bring or buy food before you check into the cabin, in case you prefer to refrain from traveling if it snows. Smoky Mountain Grocery Delivery can do a pre-arrival delivery or a scheduled delivery.
- We recommend purchasing Travel/cancellation insurance of your choice if your trip falls between November and March. See here and here (we do not sell or endorse any particular policy).
- Questions? Just ask us.